Guess who wants you to believe that being healthy is hard: The people who sell diet plans and diet books. They want you to buy the secret to a good life, but we’re gonna break it down for free. All you have to do is treat your body right. Start by eating healthy food and drinking plenty of water. Then give that body of yours a chance to show what it can do with a little exercise.
If healthy food and water are fuel for your body, a fit, healthy body is fuel for your life. Here are five other things you need to know about health, fitness, and why they’re good for your game.
1. It’s cheap.
You don’t have to pay a lot to get fit. Work out at community recreation center, or try your high school or college weight room. Access to these places is cheap, and sometimes it’s even free.
Not a gym person? That’s okay, your body still rocks. Here’s why: If you get creative, you can work out anywhere. Do pull-ups on playground monkey bars. Do pushups off the edge of the bed. Do walking lunges up and down the hallway. The point is, your body is all you really need, and you can work it anywhere.
2. It’s fun.
How do you feel about treadmills? If you don’t like them, that’s okay. There are lots of other ways to work out. A game of basketball, football or soccer–anything that makes you sweat and get a little out of breath–is as good as running on the treadmill. Dancing at the club is good too, as long as you keep moving. If you’re willing to spend a little money you can try all kinds of active hobbies, like dance classes, karate or swimming. Just keep trying new things until you find something you really like.
3. It’s not all about exercise.
Exercise is a huge part of living fit and healthy, but it’s not the only way to feel rich. Getting enough sleep, eating good food, and drinking lots of water are all important ways to give your body the fuel it needs. Your body will work better, learn faster, and play harder when you treat it right.
4. It’s worth it.
Sometimes making healthy choices, like putting down that pop can or walking to the next bus stop for more exercise, can be hard. But they’re worth it. Here are just a few of the good things that making healthy choices can do for you:
- You get to spend more time with your friends, instead of at the doctor’s office or working to pay off doctor bills.
- You get more energy and more attitude. You can also concentrate better, and that makes school and work easier.
- If you’re fit and healthy, you can do some jobs that others can’t.
- You’ll live longer. That’s more dancing, more b-ball, more time with your family and kids.
- Keep up those fit and healthy habits for long enough, and you’ll end up with a bangin’ hot body.
- Speaking of which, sweaty exercise gear isn’t a turn-on, but exercise often is.
- Check this one out in the mirror: Getting fit helps you stand up straight. Good posture makes you look hot, even if nothing else about your body has changed yet.
- Healthy choices make you feel good about yourself. And you should feel proud, because you’re doing something totally legit.
5. It puts you in control.
No matter what’s going on–maybe your mom’s sick, you just got cheated on or got dumped, your boss wants more hours–you own something you can control all the way: your body, and what you put in it. Check out your heroes. The ones who are really in control of their rhymes, their moves, their future, are also in total control of their body. You can do that, too.
Taking good care of your body gives you the juice to keeping working hard at your goals. Even when life beats you down, healthy choices bring that confidence back. They remind you who is the most powerful person in your life: You. So get out there and do you. You’re the only one that can.